Thursday, July 25, 2024

Drawing and Painting A Yorkie



 
   Here's my first post in 2024, a digital painting of my cousin's dog, Gabbie, a Yorkshire Terrier dog who is blind in one eye.   I took the photo reference I used here when I had a chance to be alone with her.  She doesn't know me well, but fortunately, she became comfortable enough to remain seated like that. I took my phone out quickly and took some shots.  
 
  The photo was a bit dark because of the light behind her. So I adjusted the levels to brighten it a bit, so her face would be more visible.  I took my time in the drawing stage, keeping close to her likeness as much as possible.  A lot of erasing, adjusting, redrawing happens at this stage. Once I'm happy with the line sketch, that's when I proceeded to paint in color.   
 
   I stayed as close to the color in the reference as possible, but I allowed myself to deviate a little bit.  I added the colors layer by layer, building it up slowly.  And as a finishing touch, I exaggerated the intensity of the backlight and added some bloom around the edges. 
 
 
 Here's a look at my painting process of this Yorkie dog. Enjoy!

 
 
 
 
 
 
Here's a shorter version:
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by, would love to hear from you ...