Monday, July 31, 2017

Daily Sketch 101 - Pensive Creamy

I'm back to drawing again from a 2-week break after finishing my self-imposed 100-day sketch challenge.   The main objective of that challenge was to instill in me the habit of sketching daily.
I was a traditional animator before and was actually drawing professionally everyday. But beyond my job, I didn't do any personal drawings. It was because of many excuses, such as exhaustion from work.  lack of time,  unmotivated and uninspired, lack of understanding of the benefits of doing it,  and sheer laziness.  Then when I acquired a repetitive strain injury in my right hand, this caused me to stop drawing altogether and changed career from being a traditional animator to a 3d  animator. This further caused me to shy away from drawing for the same excuses as before.
To my regret, I now realized my folly. Daily sketching is like physical exercise.  To be physically fit, one needs to exercise regularly, if not daily. Same with drawing.  Thus the 100-day sketch challenge. And just like physical fitness, it is never too late. It won't be easy, but it's doable.
 
The challenge allowed me to test my art skills, it's strength and weaknesses. I'm gratified with what I've done, and inspired to do more.  Still far-off from my goal but very encouraged.
 
So for this next drawing series, it won't be as hectic as before.  I will be drawing everyday, but will not necessarily try to finish one. This is so I can put more thought, research and study for each piece, which is what I'm after anyway.  I might be posting work-in-progress drawings though.



And so I'm starting off with dogs again. She's one of my sister's pet. This was from a photo taken when she was still a puppy. A sad-looking dog. Not the most energetic of dogs. She still looks the same today, albeit older.  But she's cute and gentle. I called this drawing, Pensive Creamy.



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by, would love to hear from you ...